Tooth-Colored Fillings – Denison, IA
Seamless Cavity Repair
More than 90% of people develop a cavity at some point in their life. When you have small spots of decay in your smile, our Denison dental team is here to help with tooth-colored fillings. This simple and quick restorative treatment can provide seamless cavity repair that does not disrupt your smile’s natural beauty. Plus, the fillings are completely metal-free! Read this page to learn more, and get in touch with us when you are ready to book a consultation.
Why Choose 32 & You Family Dental for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Experienced Dentist & Highly Skilled Team
- Beautiful Results that Match Your Smile
- Protect Decayed Teeth for Years
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
The purpose of a dental filling is to fill in spots of decay, thereby protecting the tooth’s sensitive inner layers and stopping the decay from spreading. In the past, dentists always used a material called silver amalgam to treat cavities. Unfortunately, it had a dark color and a high mercury content.
Today, tooth-colored fillings are the norm. They are made out of a biocompatible composite resin, which contains things like ultra-fine plastic and glass particles. They can be shade-matched to blend in with the color of the surrounding dentition, and they provide years of reliable protection for mildly decayed teeth.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
The tooth-colored filling process is usually straightforward, fast, and comfortable. The entire treatment takes less than one hour. Here is an overview of how it works:
- First, we numb the area of the mouth where we will be working. (This is not always necessary if a cavity is not very deep.)
- We remove decayed tissue from inside the cavity.
- We insert the shade-matched filling material and use a special curing light to harden it within a matter of seconds.
- We adjust the filling’s shape and polish it so it looks and feels as comfortable as possible.
There is no downtime required after the procedure; you can go back to your normal routine right away!
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Compared to old-fashioned silver amalgam fillings, tooth-colored fillings offer several remarkable benefits:
- There is no mercury, so you do not have to worry about exposure to toxic materials.
- Tooth-colored fillings look incredibly natural.
- Since they do not expand and contract in response to temperature changes, tooth-colored fillings cause less sensitivity and a lower risk of damaging the surrounding tissue.
- Tooth-colored fillings require minimal tooth preparation, so you can keep as much of your healthy dentition as possible.
- You can expect your fillings to last for several years.
- Caring for tooth-colored fillings is easy. Basically, all you need is a good oral hygiene routine, regular dental visits, and other common-sense good habits.